The Israeli government has approved the construction of 2,070 new settlement units in the occupied West Bank, local media reported.
Israel’s Civil Administration said at least 696 of the units were approved for construction, while1,262 were advanced through an earlier planning stage known as a deposit.
According to Israeli organization Peace Now, 14,454 settlement units in the West Bank have been approved since US President Donald Trump took office, which is more than three times the amount that was approved in the year and a half before his inauguration (4,476 units).
Peace Now condemned the Netanyahu government for taking advantage of the carte blanche the Trump administration has given it in order to destroy the chances for peace.
The White House released a statement on Wednesday, suggesting that Israel will scale back on future settlement construction in order to allow a US peace plan to progress.
A White House spokesperson told The Times of Israel:
Under international law, settlements in occupied territories are considered illegal. Earlier this month, the Palestinian Authority government decided to file a war crimes complaint against Israel with the International Criminal Court over its settlement construction on land claimed by the Palestinians for their future state.
Source: Palestine Chronicle