Scores of Palestinians killed in Israeli strikes on Gaza following Israeli security forces’ crackdowns on Jerusalem worshippers and unarmed protesters. Follow our regularly updated Live Blog below for more information.
Massive Israeli bombing campaign is currently underway throughout the Gaza Strip, targeting northern, southern and central Gaza City, in addition to Khan Younis, Sheikh Ijlin and other areas.
One of the strikes has reportedly targeted an area close to the Shifa hospital. This is considered the most intense Israeli strikes on Gaza since they began nearly a week ago.
US Senator Bernie Sanders: Gaza devastation ‘unconscionable’ (AJE English)
Israeli Officials: US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken didn’t pressure Israel to end military operations. (AXIOS)
Philippe Lazzarini, Commissioner-General of UNRWA, tweets: 40+ @UNRWA schools now open as shelters for > 34000 people displaced w/ limited access to water, no food or health care. Call to support #UNRWA to help displaced and affected #PalestineRefugees (Social Media)
Sunday, May 16, 07:30 pm (GMT+3)
UPDATES: Jordan: Israel is Responsible for Current Situation
– Jordan’s foreign minister said Israel as an occupying force “shoulders the responsibility” for the current situation in the occupied territories and Gaza. “Israel the occupying power shoulders the responsibility for the difficult situation in the occupied Palestinian territories and everything that is caused by the bloodshed and the destruction and the suffering,” Ayman Safadi said at United Nations.
– Jordan’s King: Jordan’s King Abdullah said his kingdom was involved in intensive diplomacy to halt what he described as Israeli military escalation that has led to the worst flare-up of violence in years.
Sunday, May 16, 06:00 pm (GMT+3)
UPDATE | UNSC Meeting Kicks Off in New York
The emergency meeting of the UN Security Council kicked off today in New York in a public session, with the participation of a large number of foreign ministers, including Minister of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates, Riyad al-Malki, to discuss the current escalations and developments in the occupied Palestinian territory.
UPDATE | Rescuers Teams in Gaza Still Looking for Survivors
Rescuers in Gaza are still hoping to pull survivors in Gaza city after overnight Israeli bombing left dozens dead.
Sunday, May 16, 04:00 pm (GMT+3)
UPDATE | The Palestinian Health Ministry announced on Sunday afternoon that a total of 202 Palestinians have been killed and 5,588 others injured by the ongoing Israeli aggression on the Gaza Strip and in the crackdown on West Bank protests.
Sunday, May 16, 03:00 pm (GMT+3)
UPDATE| Amnesty International: ‘Israel is Committing War Crimes’
Saleh Hijazi, deputy regional director at Amnesty International Middle East and North Africa, told Al Jazeera that Israel was trying to hide what it was doing in Gaza and to the people of Gaza, adding that Amnesty International was prevented from entering the enclave since 2012.
“We now have an International Criminal Court investigation open on the situation in the Palestinian Territories, since 2014. We call on the ICC to look into this incident” he said, referring to the bombing of international media offices by Israeli forces.
“Even if there is a legitimate military target there, it is disproportionate to attack a building in such a manner,” Hijazi also said.
“Such a disproportionate attack amounts to war crime. In addition, this follows a pattern of collective punishment against the Palestinian people in Gaza.”
Sunday, May 16, 03:00 pm (GMT+3)
UPDATES | Saudi Arabia Condemns Israel’s ‘Flagrant Violations’ of Palestinian Rights
Saudi Arabia’s Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan Al Saud condemned Israel’s “flagrant violations” of Palestinian rights and called on the international community to act urgently to put an end to military operations.
– German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas called for an end of violence, urging Israel and the Palestinians to resume negotiations.
– Pope Francis calls for the end of violence. “I appeal for calm, and for those responsible to end the clamor of weapons and to take the path of peace,” he said in a weekly address to faithful gathered in Saint Peter’s Square.
Sunday, May 16, 03:00 pm (GMT+3)
UPDATE | OAC: ‘Apartheid State are not Democracies’
US Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez slammed the administration of President Joe Biden for not standing up to Israel, which she called an “apartheid state”.
Sunday, May 16, 12:00 pm (GMT+3)
UPDATE | EU to Discuss Ways to End Escalation in Gaza
Josep Borrell, High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, said today that the foreign ministers of the EU will be holding a virtual conference on Tuesday to discuss how to best contribute to ending the current Israeli escalation in Gaza.
“In view of the ongoing escalation between Israel and Palestine and the unacceptable number of civilian casualties, I am convening an extraordinary VTC of the EU Foreign Ministers on Tuesday,” Borrel tweeted. “We will coordinate and discuss how the EU can best contribute to end the current violence.”
Sunday, May 16, 11:00 am (GMT+3)
UPDATE | China Calls for UN Council Action, Blames US
Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi called on the UN Security Council to work at de-escalation of violence between Israel and Palestinians. He also blamed the US for the council’s lack of action so far.
“Regrettably, the council has so far failed to reach an agreement, with the United States standing on the opposite side of international justice,” the state-run Xinhua news agency quoted Wang as saying.
Sunday, May 16, 09:00 am (GMT+3)
UPDATE | Netanyahu: Attacks Will Continue
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that Israeli attacks on Gaza will continue.
“Israel’s operations on Gaza will continue as long as needed to reach its aims,” he said at a news conference where he thanked US President Joe Biden for his support.
Sunday, May 16, 6:57 am (GMT+3)
BREAKING | More Gaza Deaths Reported
– Five more Palestinians killed overnight in various parts of Gaza. Toll is expected to grow as many remain trapped under the rubble of their homes. 42 Reported wounded. The areas hit include Wihda street, the Gaza Vally, Buraij and Nuseirat refugee camps, among others.
Anadolu: Ireland’s foreign minister on Saturday condemned Israeli attacks having killed dozens of children over the last five days alone.
Palestinian Red Crescent Society: 580 Palestinians wounded by Israeli fire and teargas throughout the occupied West Bank on Saturday.
– 42 Palestinian rockets hit Tel Aviv and other Israeli areas after the end of a two-hour lull announced earlier by the Palestinian resistance in Gaza.
Sourec: The Palestine Chronicle