The long-awaited deal of the century does not include plans for a Palestinian state, a new report by the Washington Post has revealed.
The Washington Post spoke to people familiar with the main elements of the so-called deal of the century, the US peace plan spearheaded by President Donald Trump and crafted principally by his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, and Special Representative for International Negotiations Jason Greenblatt. In doing so, it found that the plan stop[s] short of ensuring a separate, fully sovereign Palestinian state in the occupied West Bank and besieged Gaza Strip.
The report, published yesterday, cites Arab officials familiar with Kushner’s sales pitches who said he has offered no specifics but suggested that the plan turned on economic opportunities for Palestinians and an enshrining of Israeli control of disputed territory.
The White House has reportedly kept details of the deal within a tight circle of people in a bid to prevent leaks, with even President Trump seemingly not having read the plan in full.
Speaking about the timing of the deal � which many have reported is being delayed until newly re-elected Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu forms his ruling coalition in the coming month � one anonymous US official said:
The Washington Post’s report has been buoyed by the fact that, in recent weeks, high profile US officials have appeared to side-step questions referring to Palestinian statehood and the two-state solution, which has for decades provided the basis upon which peace negotiations have taken place.
Speaking on Friday, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said that he did not think Netanyahu’s pre-election promise to annex the occupied West Bank to Israel would impact the deal of the century.
Just last week, Pompeo also declined to support the two-state solution, saying during a Senate hearing that we are now working with many parties to share what our vision is as to how to solve this problem.
The deal has long been suspected of being biased towards Israel’s interests, prompting Palestinian factions and Arab leaders to reject the plan even before its revelation. Speaking yesterday during his first meeting of the new Palestinian government, Palestinian Authority (PA) President Mahmoud Abbas said that the first challenge ahead of the new government is the ‘deal of the century’, adding that any attempts to talk with the Trump administration were useless.
Source: Palestine Chronicle