Abbas vows to oppose any US peace proposal

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas announced on Sunday during the 30th Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) Central Council session that he will reject any US peace proposal.

Palestine is facing a historical moment, President Mahmoud Abbas said during the Central Council session, calling on the Palestinian people to unite behind the PLO.

The phase we are going through may be the most dangerous phase that the Palestinian people have ever experienced, Abbas said.

We will remain steadfast on our land and adherent to our national rights and constants and will not repeat what happened in 1948 and 1967.

It is well known that Abbas rejects US President Donald Trump’s so-called Deal of the Century, and the President reiterated this rejection Sunday.

If the Balfour declaration has passed (100 years ago), the Deal of the Century will not pass, he stated.

According to the President, there is neither a state in the Gaza Strip nor a state without Gaza, stressing that East Jerusalem is the capital of the Palestinian state.

Those who say Jerusalem is a capital of two states say that Jerusalem is capital of Israel and Abu Dis is our capital. With respect to Abu Dis or Qalandia, no, Abbas stated his objection.

Bulletins suggest part of the US Administration peace plan is to name Abu Dis, an already overcrowded city, the capital of Palestine.

Jerusalem which was occupied in 1967, is our capital, every meter and centimetre of it.

Abbas has boycotted the White House since December 2017, when the US Administration moved the embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem and thereby acknowledged Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.

Since then, the White House has taken a number of measures in order to force Palestine into peace talks.

On August 24, the Trump administration announced a $200 million cut in aid to Palestinians living in Gaza and the West Bank.

Later the administration announced the plan of cutting all US funding to The United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) where the US, as the largest donor, was responsible for providing about $350 million each year.

This was followed by the closing of the PLO office in Washington DC after the PLO failed to take steps to advance the start of direct and meaningful negotiations with Israel.

US President Donald Trump’s Deal of the Century is expected to be announced by the end of this year or early 2019.

Source: Palestine Monitor